, Doctor of Political Sciences, Senior Research Fellow employee, leading researcher SI "Institute of World History NAS of Ukraine"
The article analyses foreign policy of J. Biden and stands out the differences with the previous president. It is proved, that J. Biden’s foreign policy differs from D. Trump’s foreign policy, although there are elements of continuity in it. Some US presidents, in particular A. Lincoln and B. Obama, chose political rivals to work in their administration. J. Biden selected former colleagues who have worked with him for many years. The Biden administration is expected to take a tougher stance towards Russia. US President J. Biden believes in countering aggression by the Russian Federation, including through sanctions. China is expected to become the main challenge for J. Biden’s foreign policy team, as relations between the US and the PRC sank to their lowest point in decades. It is predicted that J. Biden will pursue a more consistent policy towards China. It is also expected that J. Biden’s team will enlist the support of US allies to force Beijing to comply with international norms in a number of areas: in trade, in the relations of the central government with Hong Kong, in the actions of the fleet in the South China Sea, in the fight against coronavirus and in the field of human rights. At present, it remains unclear how the Biden administration will build relations with North Korea. It is expected to cooperate more closely with allies, as well as to exert economic pressure on China to help bring the DPRK to the negotiating table. The big question is whether the Biden administration will honour the March 2021 agreement between the United States and the Taliban and withdraw all American troops by September 11, 2021, without forcing the Taliban to fulfil commitments to reduce bloodshed and cut ties with the Al-Qaeda and other Islamist groups that may pose a threat to US interests. It is expected that the deployment of US troops in places such as Afghanistan and Syria, without a clear strategy, will end under the presidency of J. Biden. But such decisions will depend on military assessments and consultations with allies, which leaves the door open for continued American intervention.
Keywords : Foreign Policy, USA, J. Biden, Security
Language of the article : ukrainian
1. Mounk Y. Democracy on the Defense Turning Back the Authoritarian Tide. Foreign Aff airs. March/April 2021. URL.: https://www.foreignaff airs.com/ articles/united-states/2021-02-16/democracy-defense
2. О военной политике и военных расходах США. ИКСИ. Аналитические Материалы. 25 января 2021. URL: https://icss.ru/images/pdf/20210125_ US_Military_Exp.pdf
3. Remarks by President Biden at the 2021 Virtual Munich Security Conference. WH.GOV. February 19, 2021. URL: https://www.whitehouse.gov/ briefi ng-room/speeches-remarks/2021/02/19/remarks-by-president-biden-at-the-2021-virtual-munich-security-conference/
4. Carpenter T. Joe Biden’s Ukraine Policy: A Repeat of George W. Bush in Georgia? The National Interest. April 5, 2021. URL: https://nationalinterest.org/ blog/skeptics/joe-biden%E2%80%99s-ukraine-policy-repeat-george-w-bush-georgia-182036
5. Episkopos M. Is Biden Pushing Russia and China Closer Together? The National Interest. May 1, 2021. URL: https://nationalinterest.org/feature/biden-pushing-russia-and-china-closer-together-184224
6. Мыльников П. Госдепартамент США объяснил политику Байдена в отношении России. DW. 09.04.2021. URL: https://www.dw.com/ru/ gosdepartament-ssha-objasnil-politiku-bajdena-v-otnoshenii-rossii/a-57140073
7. Ignatius D. Opinion: Antony Blinken off ers a window on how Biden’s foreign policy decisions will be made. The Washington Post. April 9, 2021. URL: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/global-opinions/antony-blinken-off ers-a-window-on-how-bidens-foreign-policy-decisions-will-be-made/2021/04/08/dce01208-98a7-11eb-b28d-bfa7bb5cb2a5_story.html
8. Guerra Cabrera A. Nueva guerra fría? La Jornada. 8 de abril de 2021. URL: https://www.jornada.com.mx/2021/04/08/mundo/022a1mun
9. The Biden 100-Day Progress Report. Foreign Policy. April 23, 2021. URL: https://foreignpolicy.com/2021/04/23/biden-100-day-report-card/
10. Шамшур О. 100 дней Джозефа Рузвельта. Зеркало Недели. 1 мая 2021.
11. Joe Biden seeks to clobber Russia with new economic sanctions. The Economist. April 15, 2021. URL: https://www.economist.com/united-states/2021/04/15/joe-biden-seeks-to-clobber-russia-with-new-economic-sanction