, Doctor of Political Sciences, Professor, researcher of the department of global and civilizational processes of the Institute of World History National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
, Master of International Economic Relations Acting, junior researcher State Institution "Institute of World History" National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
Transport plays a vital role in the development of state of Australia. Transport can be compared with arteries of different industries of different types of economy. This infrastructure is especially important for Australia which has a great territory and low density of its population. That’s why the development of transport despite the remoteness of the continent from the Old World went parallel but sometimes even ahead of Europe. For the first time in Ukrainian science, an attempt has been made to investigate at the interdisciplinary level the formation of Australian state with the help of transport. Events are presented in chronological order because the very history of the discovery of the continent began from sailboats. Sailboat transport at the time of the discovery of Australia and the transportation of the first convicts, their supervising soldiers and administration together with free settlers from The Great Britain arrived on sailboats. The use of sailboats in transport along the coast of Australia is also clarified as well as hunting for whales, the future visits to the Pacific Islands and transportation from there valuable species of wood. The transition to steam shipping and later to motor shipping is distinguished, subsequently to motor shipping, innovative port changes of the coast of Australia for better floating and for better placement of cargo on steamers and their uploading taking into account the cost of human labour, of appropriate mechanisms and devices. Features of Australian river navigation are also considered. The development of land transport is studied. It is proved that the development of rail transport in the XIX st. became an important link in the transport system of Australia. Its advantages and obstacles which for many years stood in the way of development are allocated. The problems of different gauge in each Australian state are analysed and the difficulties of overcoming them are emphasized. Road transport and road construction have come out in Australia at a rapid space. It was found that road construction for Australian society was not only economic but also of great social importance because the soldiers who returned to their homeland from the First World War had their jobs on road constructions. The origin and development of aviation on the fifth continent are analysed. The figures of aviation designers are singled out. They pioneered aviation industry in Australia. Conclusions are drawn that this industry became dominant in Australia now.
Keywords : Australian transport, history, its role in social and economic life, water transport, rail transport, automobile transport, aviation
Language of the article : ukrainian
1. Bach J. A Maritime History of Australia: book. Melbourne: Pan Books, 1982, 458 p.
2. The Encyclopedia of Australia / The Grolier Society of Australia. – Sydney, 1983. Vol. 4. Р. 125.
3. Blainey G. The Tyranny of Distance. Macmillan Australia. 2001. 432 p.
4. Naughton P. W. Development in Shipping Technology in Coastal and Overseas Trade, Special Lectures in Transport, National Transport Policy, University of Melbourne Library, 1968.
5. Ellis C. H. British Railway History 1830-1876: book. London: George Allen and Unwin, Vol. 1, 1954. 443 р.
6. Oberg L. Locomotives of Australia: book. French’s Forest: Reed, 1984, 324 p.
7. Історія залізничного транспорту в Австралії: веб-сайт. URL: https:// en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_rail_transport_in_Australia
8. Cheney S. A. From horse to Horsepower: book. Adelaide: Rigby, 1965, 296 p.
9. Blainey G. Triumph of the Nomads: A History of Aboriginal Australia. Sun Books, 1976. p. 203-216.
10. Lay M.G. The History of Australian Roads. Vermont South. Vic.: Australian Road Research Board. 1984. 35 p.
11. Зернецька О. В., Мирончук О. А. Історична пам’ять та практики монументальної комеморації Першої світової війни в Австралії (частина 1). Проблеми всесвітньої історії: науковий журнал. 2020. – № 3 (12). – С. 208 – 224.
12. The Great Ocean Road. The Complete Guide. [Електронний ресурс]. – Режим доступу: https://www.greatoceanroadaccommodation.directory/great-ocean-road/
13. Great Ocean Road in World class // The Age. – August 15, 1962. [Електронний ресурс]. – Режим доступу: https://news.google.com.au/newspa pers?id=Xl8RAAAAIBAJ&sjid=jJYDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4214,2226082&dq=gr eat+ocean+road&hl=en
14. Johnston M. Great Ocean Road added to Australia’s national heritage list // Herald Sun. – April 7, 2011. [Електронний ресурс]. – Режим доступу: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/archive/news/great-ocean-road-added-to-australias-national-heritage-list/news-story/0c459037912f3382013471c39764c099
15. Rood D. Road’s Still Great, 75 Years On // The Age. – April 10, 2007. [Електронний ресурс]. – Режим доступу: https://www.theage.com.au/ national/roads-still-great-75-years-on-20070410-ge4mi6.html
16. Davis M. Hard Road to Honouring Diggers // The Australian. – April 14, 2007. [Електронний ресурс]. – Режим доступу: http://www. theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/hard-road-to-honouring-diggers/story-e6frg6nf-1111113340576
17. Вrand M. Transport in Australia. Making Australian Society Series: вook. Meldourne: Nelson. 1979. 112 p.
18. Aviation in Australia. Hardgrave’s Flying Machines // http://si.nsw.gov.au
19. Brogden S. John Duigan’s Plane made History// Aircraft Magazine. October, 1960.
20. Зернецька О. В. Розвиток культури в Австралії протягом XX-го ст.: кіноіндустрія // Проблеми всесвітньої історії: науковий журнал. 2020. – № 2 (11). – С. 179 – 199